Thursday, October 13, 2011
Marathon (Blog#6)
Since the seventh grade, i was in a program named SRLA(Students Run Los Angeles). The title fits perfectly. In SRLA we literally ran the streets of Los Angeles. In between seasons, which usually started in september and went on to the beginning/end of march, we attended running events that started at a measly 3 miles and slowly worked its way up the big 26.2 L.A. marathon. My first year running the L.A. marathon was a huge accomplishment and a dangerous addiction. I loved running! I couldn't stop! I would not only attend the mandatory practices, but also run on my own. When i ran on my own, i would "run" out of the house at 5 p.m. and sometimes not comeback until 8 p.m. My mom always thought i was doing bad things, but i never did. I ran and ran and ran, until i thought i should start heading back home. I would say, on my own, i would sometimes run 12-15 miles a day plus the 3-5 mile mandatory practice runs. I felt myself become faster and faster and i would run longer and longer. I was very active in middle school. Whenever i stepped foot onto the street to prepare myself to run that marathon, i always felt like vomiting, every time! I have no idea why. I have ran 5 marathons, and completed four, but for some reason i always want to vomit. I always ended up finishing, except for my senior year marathon, but always felt sick to my stomach. Eventually i would overcome my temporary sickness and finish the marathon. The last marathon i ran during my senior year (2011) went down as an "incomplete". If you weren't watching, but during 85% of the L.A. marathon it was pouring rain! I ran but began to slow down because my ankles tensed up and my chest seemed to cave in. i would say i walked 10-15 miles on a bad ankle and horrible chest pain. At mile 25, with only 1.2 miles to go i quit. I just couldn't go on. The cold wet, windy rain was making me hypothermic. I was picked up by a bus and was taken to the finish line. I was embarrassed, ashamed and very disappointed in myself. To this day i think i should have kept running, but i don't know what would have happened if i did. I'm glad i made it that far, but sadly not far enough. I was told to never quit or give up. But i let myself down. But i can say i fully completed 4 marathons and proud of it. Call me crazy for being so addictive to running, but its good for my health. I love running, what can i say?I haven't ran in while and i know i need to. I feel gravity pulling me by these newly formed "love-handles". As i slowly regain my will to run again, i will sign up for the next marathon and finish it no matter rain or shine!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Dude i admire your will to keep going, but there's time its better to stop and see whats better for yourself. So do what you got to do and keep on doing what you love. It's funny you love running and i love making cheese cake two way different things.
ReplyDelete"I feel gravity pulling me by these newly formed 'love-handles.'" Haha :)
ReplyDeleteI love to run too. I always wanted to join a marathon, but I never figured out how to get information about it. I ran for 4 months last year and suddenly had to stop because I hurt my shin. According to the doctors, I got a "shin splint." Weird! I have never heard about a shin splint before! Do you have any idea on how to cure those?. They are so painful and it has stopped me from running. You always have great blogs..Good Job :)
ReplyDeleteyeah shin splits are very painful... well first of all do you have flat feet? Either if you do or dont, you should get an arch support or some other kind of in-sole to lessen the pain and to prevent future pains... but the only cure is lots of rest and icing that area. It may also be the shoe... so there are a lot of factors why you may or may not get them, but in your case getting them. So just rest your chins, buy a different pair of shoes and if needed special insole... i love running so i spent lots of money on shoes. good luck!!
ReplyDeleteHow dope, thats whats up Apariciojear I never heard of the program but it sounds interesting. Even though I never ran that much in my life somebody has to do it right. Thats good you like to run atleast we know we have one less lazy person on earth.
ReplyDeletewow i cant believe you kept going! you really shouldnt feel bad at all for not finishing. You did your best! what if u did keep going and sumthing happened to you? What if you hurt yourself so bad that you couldnt run anymore? Now that would make you feel horrible. Anyway, i give you props on doing all that running. I hate running.
ReplyDelete